San Fernando Valley Criminal & DUI Defense Lawyers

Se Habla Español 818.783.5700

What Criminal and DUI Cases can be Reduced and Expunged?

What Criminal Cases can be Reduced or Expunged?

More new laws are out.  More ways to expunge convictions are on the books.  If you went to “Firecamp”, you can expunge your conviction.  You don’t even need to be off of probation or parole.

If you successfully completed probation in almost any case, misdemeanor or felony, you can expunge your conviction.

If you went to county jail on a “prison” sentence, you can expunge your conviction.

Convicted of DUI?  You can expunge it.  This goes for felony DUI’s too!

If you have ten different convictions, in ten different counties, for ten different crimes, you can still expunge your convictions if you were granted probation and completed it each time.

If you were convicted of domestic violence, you may not be able to get your gun rights back, but you can expunge your conviction.

Normally, we need to complete our entire term of probation or ask the judge to terminate probation early to ask for an expungement.  If no term of probation was granted, we must wait one you in order to ask the court for help.

There are a few exceptions to these rules.  Mostly, this involves certain sex offenses.

What if you were convicted of a felony?

Then you should talk to me about whether or not you can reduce that felony to a misdemeanor.  Many felonies are “reduceable” or what we call “wobblers”, meaning that can be filed as either misdemeanors or felonies, and after conviction they can be reduced to misdemeanors.

How do you know if your conviction was a wobbler?  Call me and I can likely tell you.  Or, you can look up the Code section for the offense.  If the offense is reduceable to a misdemeanor, it will normally say: Punishable by 16 months, 2 or 3 years in prison or by time in the county jail.  You may also see:  Punishable by time in the state prison or by a fine.  These are both wobblers in California.  Thus, they can both be reduced to misdemeanors.

If you want help cleaning up your criminal record in any county in California, call me:

Attorney Jeffrey Vallens (818) 783-5700 or (805) 230-3651

Email me at:

Visit my sites: or

I look forward to helping you.